SolidarMed improves health care for 2.5 million people in Lesotho, Mozambique, Tanzania, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. We strengthen existing medical facilities and train local health personnel. Our projects are developed in close cooperation with local partners such as hospitals, health centres and health authorities, supported by our health experts on the ground. SolidarMed’s vision is access to good health care, and we strategically focus on:
- Protecting mothers, children, and adolescents.
- Fighting diseases such as malaria, HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, and cancer
- Improving the quality of health service provision at health facilities and communities – Primary Health Care and Community Health.
- Supporting the training and further education of health staff.
- Sharing knowledge ajira and raising awareness.
SolidarMed works efficiently, conscientiously, and transparently. SolidarMed continuously reviews all projects for their effectiveness and improves them accordingly.
In Tanzania, SolidarMed has been active since 1999. From the very beginning, SolidarMed has partnered with the Government of Tanzania to improve the quality of health service provision at the hospitals and primary health care facilities including training to skilled health staff in Manyara and Morogoro regions. Through our integrated approach in and with the health system at all levels, SolidarMed strengthens the synergies between the different levels of the health system and thus fostering improvement in processes and active participation of both, right holders, and duty bearers.
We have an exciting position for an experienced professional to join our field team in Tanzania.
Contract Type 100% one-year fixed contract with a possibility of an extension.
Place of Assignment Mahenge, Ulanga, Morogoro, Tanzania, with frequent travels in the district.
Start of Contract – January 2022
Reporting to: Project Manager
In 2022 SolidarMed will start the implementation of two new projects: “AHA!” ( Adolescent’s Health in Adolescent’s Hand; project area is Ulanga District) and the project “safe delivery and healthy newborn” (project area is Ulanga and Kilombero District as well as Morogoro town). The project coordinator will be member of the project team and support the activities implementation of these two projects within the framework of the project documents under the supervision of the project manager. The project coordinator will be required to work closely with the project team, the district councils, Council Health Management Teams, community development departments and education departments in the project districts as well as with the SolidarMed team from the other projects and the country office
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Under the guidance of the project manager, lead the implementation of both projects within the framework of all relevant project documents such as logical framework, budgets, annual plans, and agreement with local partners
- Ensure that all relevant partners, stakeholders, and authorities are fully included and involved in all project cycle management steps.
- Ensure joint implementation and full embedment of the projects components in the district health system.
- Actively contribute and participate in strategic developments of the projects in collaboration with the project manager, country director and headquarter; a proactive behaviour is expected.
- Exchange regularly knowledge and experience with other projects in SolidarMed program and other project partners in all levels.
- Maintain and develop collaboration with other partners and stakeholders from regional to community level
- With support from the project manager, contribute to timely preparation and submission of annual project documents such as annual plans, budget, report.
- Ensure quality monitoring of activities, according to the project indicators, including photo documentation
- Ensure efficient and effectiveness financial management of project funds
- Adhere to SolidarMed rules and regulations, such as the Code of Conduct, the Organization Handbook, and the Integrity Policies
- Enhance reputation and visibility of SolidarMed locally, nationally and all other levels.
- Degree in relevant field such as community development, social welfare, planning, management, health related field.; working experience in the health sector is an added value.
- At least three years of work experience
- Knowledge and experience in the project cycle management and use of log frame and indicators
- Good communication, facilitation, and interpersonal skills capable of maintaining strong relationships.
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Applied Computer skills – MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Internet.
- Strong working knowledge of English and Kiswahili (spoken and written).
Country Program Accountant
100% one-year fixed contract with a possibility of an extension.
Place of Assignment
The place of assignment is Ifakara, Tanzania with regular visits to Mahenge and Malinyi, and occasional visits to Morogoro, Dodoma, Dar es Salaam or other places.
Start of Contract – Immediately
Reporting to: Country Director
Subordinates – Administratively, the role has no staff reporting direct to. Technically, the role supports cashiers/Administrators in all the project offices.
The country program accountant shall perform all accounting work for SolidarMed.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Record all financial transactions of the SolidarMed country office in accounting package
- Check transactions every month in the country office and quarterly at SolidarMed field offices
- Perform monthly bank reconciliations
- Produce monthly and quarterly balance sheets, Profit and Loss statements and all other usually requested accounting documents
- Prepare quarterly reports according to checklist and in good quality and send them to the country director before sending them to HQ (before 15th day after the quarter closure)
- Ensure Statutory returns (PAYE, SDL, NSSF, WCF, WHT, NHIF) are remitted on time
- Ensure that Invoices are paid on time.
- Prepare and Present to TRA office the Provisional Budget estimates for the year – Corporate Tax (March)
- Prepare and Present to TRA office the Return of Income-Corporate Tax (July)
- Ensure with the cashier/administrator that we have receipts (Mainly EFD receipts for all payments).
- Raise Invoices to customers, write receipts for funds paid via banks, write PVs for bank charges
- Follow up on Taxes and VAT exemption requested for each expense.
- Manage payroll, send it to the administrator who will send it to CD after checking
- Complete the semi-annual P.9 TRA returns
- Complete the semi-annual reports and statements for Withholding Taxes
- Complete annual WCF returns (March to February)
- Cash “cash cheque” if the cashier is not present
- Manage Asset Register
- Prepare and support internal quality controls
- Prepare financial reports as requested by donors
- Closing accounts: preparation of Financial Statements i.e., Trial Balance, Income and Expenditure and Balance sheet. Ensure that the books are audited as per schedule.
- Be responsible together with the country director to all queries and observations raised by the external auditors.
- The Country Program Accountant regularly informs the Country Director about important Taxes developments, all financial regulations as they are reviewed by the Government of Tanzania.
- The Country Program Accountant supports the Country Director in regularly reviewing of the organization financial and operational protocols to ensure they are in alignment with the organization handbook. The Country Program Accountant takes a proactive role in this activity.
- The Country Program Accountant temporarily assumes other tasks allocated to her/him by the Country Director (representation of colleagues, accompaniment of project visits, compilation of additional reports etc.).
- Certain tasks specified above can be delegated to employees following consultation with the Country Director. Corresponding arrangements must always be documented in writing.
- In the event of her/his absence, the country program accountant ensures that the tasks assigned to him/her are appropriately executed. Corresponding arrangements must always be documented in writing and approved by the country director
- The country program accountant must treat employees, partners, authorities and community members with respect and cultural sensitivity. Abuse of authority and lack of respect in dealings with employees or partners will not be tolerated by SolidarMed and constitute a grave violation of this specification of duties. The country program accountant abides to all SolidarMed Integrity Policies.
- This specification of duties forms an integral part of the employment contract. It can be adjusted by mutual consent of the contractual parties; all changes must be documented in writing.
- A degree in accounting.
- In depth knowledge and experience on the finance and accounting, preferable in an international NGO, with three years’ experience in the similar role.
- Applied Computer skills
- Strong understanding and knowledge of (international) cash flows, budgetary controls, and compliance with financial controls.
- Knowledge of Tanzania regulations regarding taxes and salaries
- Fair knowledge of project cycle management.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their application to email@example.com citing reference Job title you are applying for example: Project Coordinator and include –
- Your CV maximum three pages with three referees.
- A maximum one pager covering letter outlining your motivation.
Deadline for submission of application is 8th October 2021. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.