Applicants are invited from qualified Tanzanians to fill vacant positions at SUA-APOPO RODENT RESEARCH PROJECT.
POSITION: RODENT TRAINER (10 POSTS) MOROGORO
EDUCATION, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE
- Possession of Secondary School Certificate with division IV and at least three passes
- Good spoken and written English
- (Not required) Persons with at least 1-year prior experience training animals, specifically African Giant Pouched Rats, are especially encouraged to apply
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participate in socialization and habituation of Mine Detection Rats
- Perform early training of Mine Detection Rats from clicker, indication, discrimination and soil floor training
- Perform field training of Mine Detection Rats from Tea-Eggs,3-M,5-M, and advanced stages
- Monitor rats’ health and welfare and report accordingly
- Accurately document and report rat training performance, per agreed schedule
- Make sure rats houses are clean and maintained well
- Feed, water and weigh rats daily, or according to agreed schedule
- Clean rats kennel weekly (according to agrees schedule) and house check to ensure each rat is in correct cages with identity card
- Train rats involved in research projects, including TB-detection, Remote Scent Tracing (RST) and customs detection
- Complete knowledge and skills training and assessments
- Perform any other related duties as assigned by a superior, including maintenance of training facilities, preparing training samples, transporting rats, demonstrating procedures, attending meetings, assisting with rat health check and treatments, etc.
TERMS OF CONTRACT: Contract will be for 1 year (including a 6-month probationary period) and is renewable depending on the performance and funding
AGE: Not above 45 years old
SALARY: As per Treasury Registry Salary Circular No. 6 of 2015 which is applicable at the moment
HOW TO APPLY
The application letters should indicate names and addresses of THREE REFEREES, together with CERTIFIED COPIES OF ACADEMIC CERTIFICATES and TRANSCRIPTS, furthermore the applicant must submit a copy of BIRTH CERTIFICATE, a signed and updated CV and other testimonials.
All applications should be addressed to the
DEPUTY VICE CHANCELLOR (ADMINISTRATION AND FINANCE),
P.O. BOX 3000,
CHUO KIKUU, MOROGORO
ONLY QUALIFIED APPLICANTS WILL BE CONSIDERED
The deadline for submitting the application is 25 September 2021.