The Welsh Government Wales and Africa Grant Scheme has launched a grant program to enable community groups and organisations throughout Wales access funding for small-scale Wales-Africa projects.
The Wales and Africa grants scheme is a flagship initiative of the Welsh Government’s Wales and Africa programme.
The scheme enables community groups and organisations in Wales to access funding for small-scale projects that contribute to Wales’ delivery of the UN Sustainable Development Goals and deliver benefits to Wales and Africa.
Funding will be allocated under four thematic areas
- Health – projects that contribute to the physical and mental health and wellbeing of communities in Sub Saharan Africa.
- Sharing of knowledge and skills between health institutions in Wales and Africa
- Supporting healthcare professionals in Africa to access small scale training and support from Wales
- Supporting communities in Wales and Africa to access to more equitable, quality healthcare
- Sustainable livelihoods – projects that work to tackle financial poverty – enabling economic resilience in families and supporting small-scale enterprise and employment.
- Community-led, income generating cooperatives that have benefit to Wales and Africa
- Engaging the Welsh public through Fair Trade campaigns, advocacy or policy
- Activities that bring the Welsh consumer closer to the producer in a sustainable way
- Support for small-scale Sub Saharan African agricultural projects and grassroots income generating activities
- Lifelong learning – projects that support individuals and groups in Wales and/or Africa to develop new skills and knowledge.
- Linking communities in Wales with communities in Africa to develop mutual understanding of global development and international issues
- Supporting the educational needs of disadvantaged children in Africa and sharing that experience with school pupils in Wales, contributing to their global education
- Supporting people in Africa to learn practical/vocational/artistic skills to improve their livelihoods
- Climate Change and Environment – strategic and practical climate change mitigation and adaptation initiatives using Welsh expertise.
- Projects which enable the use of renewable energy in Africa
- Projects engaging people in Wales with climate change issues as they affect Africa
- Work aiming to support African partners in implementing sustainable development practices.
- Grants are available from £3,000 up to £15,000.
- There is £115,000 available for this COVID-19 response grant round.
- Applicants will need to ensure that their organisation meets the following criteria:
- The lead applicant must be based within Wales
- All activities should clearly demonstrate a benefit to Wales
- Applications should clearly demonstrate a fit with one or more of the four thematic areas
- Applicants with prior experience of delivering grant funded activity from the Wales and Africa Programme should demonstrate the impact of this project and any lessons learned
- Individuals cannot apply; however, they may apply through a host organisation, the grant agreement will be held with the organisation and no direct payments will be made from the Wales Africa grant scheme into an individual’s bank account
- All relevant purchases to be made with Wales and Africa grant scheme funding will consider ethical and Fair Trade criteria
- The grants scheme can be accessed by groups in Wales who work in collaboration with African partners to deliver a diverse range of activities, including:
- Building capacity of small Welsh international development NGOs
- Promoting international development volunteering
- Promoting best practice in fair trade and ethical procurement across all sectors
- Facilitating the work of diaspora communities in Wales to maximise their impact on SDG delivery in their home country.
- Health projects
- Projects run for and by people with disabilities
- Applications are open to constituted organisations in Wales, including:
- Constituted group
- Registered charity
- Community Interest Company
- Charitable Incorporated Organisation
- Company limited by guarantee
- Private limited company
- Community Council
- Town Council
- Local Authority
For more information, visit https://wcva.cymru/funding/wales-and-africa/