Applications are invited for the GET.invest Finance Catalyst to link projects and companies to financiers.
It targets small- and medium-scale sustainable energy opportunities in sub-Saharan Africa, the Caribbean and Pacific region.
Their team provides advisory support in the areas of investment strategy, business case structuring, and accessing finance.
They work through independent experts with extensive experience in both developing and getting projects funded.
- Investment strategy
- Geared at projects at a relatively early stage, but with concrete financing prospects, providing general guidance on the necessary steps of project development in order to ensure completeness and quality.
- Structuring support
- Advising on essential aspects of the business case and financing models, and supporting developers towards structuring their propositions in a way that corresponds with the needs and expectations of financiers.
- Finance access support
- To identify appropriate financing options for projects and to align project documentation with the specific requirements of financing and support instruments.
- Transaction support
- To assist with contractual negotiations during project preparation, for instance aspects of the financing transaction, term sheets, contractual agreements with specialised advisory, or the fulfillment of conditions precedent.
The support of the GET.invest Finance Catalyst is available to applicants that meet the following minimum criteria:
- Generation capacity and ticket size: Only projects and businesses with a cumulative generation capacity between 0.5-50 MW or aggregated investments in the range of €250,000 to €70 million are eligible.
- Focus on renewable energy: The major part of the scope must be a renewable energy system investment, including clean cooking. Hybrid systems with a reasonable share of renewable generation capacity are also eligible.
- Business models: Supported models may comprise electricity generation, electricity distribution (in the case of mini-grids and stand-alone systems), mechanical energy and industrial / process heat or cooling, as well as clean cooking. Transmission projects or bio-fuels are not eligible.
- Revenue generating: Proposals must be conceptualised as revenue generating and meet a minimum economic viability and sustainability threshold.
- Location: Applicants must be located in (or proceeds to be used in) sub-Saharan Africa, the Caribbean or the Pacific region.
- Focus on private sector: Eligible applicants may be private sector developers (local and international), NGOs, universities, parastatal companies, government or research institutions. Ultimately, projects will need to have a significant private-sector ownership (or equivalent) to allow for financing with debt or equity, possibly combined with other funding such as grants or public-sector contributions. Such private-sector engagement can be developed during the advisory support.
- Covid-19-related support
- For applicants requesting accelerated Covid-19-related, the criteria outlined under Generation capacity and ticket size are substituted with the following minimum criteria:
- the equivalent of €100,000 of turnover over the past 12 months as a proxy to justify the allocation of individual coaches and the associated cost;
- a minimum of 5 staff employed (salary or results-based) as a proxy for the job impact of the crisis, and as an indicator for the cash needs of the company;
- the business can demonstrate it had a sustainable funding plan at the end of February until 1 May 2020 (i.e. no funding gap before 1 May 2020).
- Note regarding the language of the website and application form
- The website and the intake form are available in English only.
- At your request, they will assist proponents from other language zones to overcome language-related issues.
- They do have French, Spanish, and Portuguese-speaking experts in their team.
- Their evaluation of proposals will not take into account foreign language-related issues.
For more information, visit https://www.get-invest.eu/finance-catalyst/apply/