Deadline: August 9, 2021
Applications for the Commonwealth Professional Fellowships 2021/2022 are now open. The Commonwealth Professional Fellowships are for mid-career professionals from low- and middle-income countries to spend a period of time at a UK Host organisation working in their sector for a program of professional development.
In 2021/22, the CSC will be running a special Professional Fellowship program promoting Girls’ Education as part of the UK government’s ambitious initiatives to get 40 million more girls in primary and secondary school in developing countries by 2025 and improve learning levels, so girls can achieve their full potential.
The program will fund up to 25 fellows (in total), in up to five different host organisations, all of whom will be chosen through a competitive selection process. In celebration of this one-year program additional funding will be provided to each host to hold an event for all the fellows taking part in the scheme.
Each fellowship provides:
- Approved return airfare from the Fellow’s home country to the UK.
- Stipend (living allowance) payable monthly (or pro rata) for the duration of the award at the rate of £1,704 per month, or £2,115 per month for those at organisations in the London metropolitan area (at 2020/21 rate).
- If a Fellow declares a disability, a full assessment of needs and eligibility for additional financial support will be offered by the CSC.
- Arrival allowance of up to £22 (at 2020/21 rate), including an element for warm clothing.
- For the Girls’ Education program a £1,000 travel allowance to facilitate attendance at events.
- Reimbursement of the standard visa application fee.
- Flat rate contribution of £800 to the costs of the Host organisation relating to the administration and support of the Fellow, setting up of appropriate meetings, any materials required, and incidental travel for the Fellow during the award (to be paid to the Host organisation on receipt of an invoice).
- Fees can be agreed for costs associated with Fellows attending short courses/conferences as well as travel to visit other UK organisations where this forms an integral part of the Up to a maximum of £3,000 can be agreed for awards of three months (to be paid to the Host organisation on receipt of an invoice).
- Be a citizen of or have been granted refugee status by an eligible Commonwealth country, or be a British Protected.
- Be permanently resident in an eligible Commonwealth country.
- Have at least five years’ full-time, or equivalent part-time, relevant work experience, in a profession related to the subject of the Fellowships program, by the proposed start of the fellowship – voluntary work experience will not be counted towards this minimum.
- Be in employment at the time of application that they will return to upon completion of the fellowship.
- Provide at least two references, one of which must be from their current employer. Any applications for which references are not received by the reference closing date will be considered ineligible.
- Not have undertaken a Commonwealth Professional Fellowship within the last five years (at the time of taking up the award).
- Not be seeking to undertake an academic program of research or study in the Academics are eligible to apply for the scheme, but only to undertake programs of academic management, not research or courses relevant to their research subject.
- Be available to start their fellowship within prescribed dates.
Note that all Commonwealth Professional Fellowships in the 2021/22 round are in the thematic area of Girls’ Education. All applicants must be professionals working on related issues.
Applications must be made using the CSC’s online application system. Applications will close at 16:00 BST on Monday 9 August 2021. The deadline for submitting references is 16:00 BST on Monday 30 August 2021.
For more information, visit Commonwealth Professional Fellowships.