International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) has launched a call for proposals to select a recipient or consortium of recipients to receive a three-year IFAD grant financing to implement the project: Digital Advisory Services to Support Accelerated Rural Transformation for a total amount of up to US$2 million.
The competitively selected recipient must be an international organization with the mandate to work in selected countries in East and Southern Africa, West and Central Africa and Near East and North Africa Regions to support the sustainable integration of proven ICT4D solutions that can improve the economic and social conditions of the rural poor, including women and youth.
The goal of this grant is to support the sustainable integration of proven ICT4D solutions that can improve the economic and social conditions of the rural poor, including women and youth.
- To provide technical capacity and up-to-date expertise to integrate ICT4D solutions in select IFAD projects and country strategies for accelerated rural transformation.
- To provide technical advisory integrating ICT4D solutions across key thematic areas, but particularly focusing on market access and financial inclusion.
- To develop knowledge and capacities within target countries and IFAD projects, implementing partners for effective implementation of ICT4D solutions.
- To develop and disseminate knowledge toolbox including business models, guides and best practices on ICT4D to enable scalable uptake of digital solutions.
- To systemise and streamline the integration of digital solutions in-line with IFAD’s ICT4D strategy, country strategies and ongoing programmes
- The DAS will be funded through a grant. Subject to approval of the grant by the governing bodies of IFAD, the 3-year tranche will include funding from IFAD of about US$2 million.
- The applicants are invited to submit proposals to deliver services for this 3-year period.
- The distribution of funds by components is as follows with some level of flexibility between components based on the needs of the grant.
- Any potential co-financing from the DAS or other donors will be added to the overall grant funding.
- Component 1: Advice on and support to piloting ICT4D solutions – USD 1.2 Million
- Component 2: Building capacity and awareness on ICT4D – USD 0.6 Million
- Component 3: Strengthening learning and knowledge management – USD 0.2 Million
- Sustainable adoption of digital solutions that increase access to markets and inclusive financial services, translating into increased income and overall rural transformation.
- Increased capacities within target countries, IFAD Projects and implementing partners to identify and implement ICT4D solutions integrated with IFAD’s programmes.
- Increased Digital Capabilities in targeted Regions to integrate digital agriculture into Country Strategies and Programme designs
- Direct target groups for the activities to be supported by the grant are project management units (PMUs) as part of IFAD projects, staff from implementing agencies such as ministries of agriculture or other related institutions in supported countries, and other relevant stakeholders supporting or over-seeing ICT4D activities, including high-level decision-makers in IFAD client countries.
- Indirectly, the grant will help smallholder farmers including youth and women in accessing information and services for improved access to markets and financial services through digital solutions.
- The estimated number of direct beneficiaries through implementation support, advisory may include 15-18 PMU’s/projects in selected countries. Through Capacity building activities, the grant is expected to cover almost 500 participants during 3 years including PMU/implementing partners in targeted member countries.
- Overall, the grant is expected to support integration of ICT4D interventions in an estimated 9 COSOPs/CSNs and 9 Ongoing projects Projects and 9 new designs.
- DAS will harvest and evaluate ICT4D experiences, taking into account country and regional contexts. It will also develop a network of ICT4D specialists on a regional basis that IFAD member countries and implementing agencies can tap into, and will promote SSTC peer-to-peer learning.
- Component 1: Advice on and support to piloting and scaling of ICT4D solutions
- Component 2: Building capacity and awareness on ICT4D
- Component 3: Strengthening learning and knowledge management
The purpose of the present call for proposals is to select a recipient or consortium of recipients to receive IFAD grant financing to implement the project: Digital Advisory Support Services for Accelerated Rural Transformation.
Financing has already been approved for this project based on a concept note developed by IFAD. Interested potential recipients or consortiums of recipients are invited to submit a proposal.
For more information, visit https://bit.ly/2Uhi12S